Youth on the Edge
Published: February 27, 2020 by Ali Ulrich
Youth on the Edge
It’s hard to imagine our young children using drugs or being around other kids who you use. We try to avoid the signs, not recognizing his or her warning behaviors. “My child doesn’t use drugs, he goes to a good school, she plays sports.” We have heard it all. It is okay to be afraid. If you suspect your child is using drugs, call Unison Health we can help!
Unison Health’s culturally diverse, professional treatment staff has a significant amount of experience in the treatment of youth substance use and mental health issues (dually-diagnosed). Our staff works directly with families to work towards their road to recovery. Unison Health utilizes The Seven Challenges Program which is a nationally recognized program designed specifically for adolescents with substance use problems. This program is designed for adolescent substance abusing or substance dependent individuals, to motivate a decision and commitment to change. It helps young people look at themselves, understand what it takes to give up a drug abusing lifestyle and prepare for and attain success when they commit to making changes.
The Seven Challenges:
- We decided to open up and talk honestly about ourselves and about alcohol and drugs.
- We looked at what we liked about alcohol and other drugs, and why we were using them.
- We looked at our use of alcohol or other drugs to see if it has caused harm or could cause harm.
- We looked at our responsibility and the responsibility of others for our problems.
- We thought about where we seemed to be headed, where we wanted to go, and what we wanted to accomplish.
- We made thoughtful decisions about our lives and about our drug use of alcohol and other drugs.
- We followed through on our decisions about our lives and drug use. If we saw problems, we went back to earlier challenges and mastered them.
Working through The Seven Challenges helps youth understand what needs they are meeting by using drugs, what harm they are causing, what risks they are taking, and what it entails to give up a drug lifestyle. We raise consciousness, inspire hope, and motivate internally driven, sincere decisions to change. Our clinicians join with youth and their families as problem-solving partners. We help young people overcome co-occurring problems and learn to meet their needs in positive ways, so they are in a position from which they can sincerely make a commitment to change. Once such decisions are made, we teach the tools and provide the support that ensures success.
The Seven Challenges is just one of the programs Unison Health offers. Other components of treatment include, Detox, Intensive Outpatient Programs and Aftercare. Transportation available.
For more information, please call 419.693.0631 and ask to speak with a member of the substance use treatment team.